Historic Telegraph Lode
20.66 Acre Lode Claim – Elliston District – Powell County, Montana
Historic Telegraph Lode Mining Claim for sale, a 20.66 Acre Unpatented Lode Mining Claim for sale exclusively through Gold and Mineral Mines of Montana LLC. The claim is located just outside of Elliston, Montana and has been properly marked. All Gold and Silver Mines of Montana LLC claims have been carefully surveyed, mapped and researched. MMC # 241658
Historically this was a Gold mine but they also mined Silver and Copper.
There has been work done after 1950 based on the remnants and items seen in the area. It is estimated by the surveyors that the claim has been worked intermittently in the early 1900's. No effort to mine for many decades is evident.
Remote Montana gold mine. The heart of the Elliston Mining District has a long and detailed history. The Telegraph Mine is in a quiet area in the historic Elliston mining district. The ores show substantial amounts of native gold (common in the area), iron, copper, galena, silver quartz and pyrites. The mine dumps could most likely be processed at a very good profit.
There is direct road access to this claim and plenty of room for staging, parking and other operations. This is an unpatented mining claim for sale. Mineral rights only for recreational mining. The land is public land. This is not a homestead or land for sale.
OVERVIEW OF THE MINES
DETAILS ABOUT THE MINE
Details about the Mine:
|Access to the Mine||You can drive a full size truck to the mine.|
|Tailing Present||Remains of mill on the south side of the road. Caved adits on the north side of the road. The material on the dumps show lots of quartz, galena, pyrite, limonite, iron and gold.|
|Mine Cut||Adits and prospects.|
|Minerals in the Mine||Historically mined for gold. Minerals of quartz, pyrite, galena, gold, copper, silver, black sands with rare earth minerals would be expected.|
|Number of Mines||Adits and a several prospect pits|
|Nearest city with amenities||Helena|
|Access to the Claim||Dirt road all the way to the claim site. You can get a full size 2WD vehicle including an rv to the site|
|Parking and Staging on the Claim||Parking near adits.|
|Resources||Trees, water from the creek.|
|Structures on claim||Remains of mill and cabin.|
|Elevation||Aprox. 6800 feet|
Economic information about the deposit and operations
|References||USGS Database - 10015932, 10270045|
MINING DISTRICT INFORMATION
|The Elliston mining district is about 20 miles west of Helena and south of the Little Blackfoot River. It includes the town of Elliston which is the first town on the Northern Pacific Railroad west of the Continental Divide. The mining district includes the town of Elliston but is generally south of the river in mountainous, heavily-forested terrain. Early reports on the district described about 15 productive mines, most of which were from five to 11 miles south of the town.|
|The geology in the vicinity of Elliston consists of an apparently conformable succession of limestone, quartzite and sandstone. The lowest formation is the Madison limestone which is overlain by the Quadrant quartzite, near the top of which occurs a bed of high-grade phosphate rock. To the south of Elliston rhyolites are present and persist on the flanks of the mountains to 6,200 ft. (Schrader 1929; Pardee and Schrader 1933)|
|The Elliston district began as a placer operation along the Little Blackfoot River during the 1860s ... Most of the production from the lode mining occurred between 1890 and 1908, at which point the total production was estimated at $2,750,000. However, during the first half of the 1890s, the town and the area's primary economic base was woodcutting. Cutting cord wood for the Anaconda Copper Mining Company's smelter at Anaconda employed more than one hundred wood cutters and it was during this period that the town of Elliston reached its peak in population and activity. However, in 1894 and again in 1895, fires destroyed the town(Lyden 1948; Robertson 1956; Wolle 1963).|
|Knopf (1913) reported that by 1911 there was little mining in progress in the Elliston district and throughout the region. Pardee and Schrader (1933) indicate that some sporadic mining occurred in the Elliston district during the 1910s and 1920s with a total production of about $200,000, with $70,000 of this coming from gold and the remainder from 90,000 ounces of silver, 700,000 pounds of lead and 90,000 pounds of copper (Pardee and Schrader 1933).|
|Robertson (1956) reported periodic mining activity in the district since then, although no important mines have been developed. He estimates the total production for the district at somewhat more than $3,100,000. During the period from 1909 to 1954 the district marketed about 7,600 ounces of gold, 149,000 ounces of silver, 98,000 pounds of copper, 1,560,000 pounds of lead and 197,000 pounds of zinc (Anderson 1990; Robertson 1948).|